Re: #1 Request By Dell Customers: Pre-Installed Linux!

  • Subject: Re: #1 Request By Dell Customers: Pre-Installed Linux!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:47:32 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Tuesday 20 February 2007 18:28 \__

> On 2007-02-20, John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.dellideastorm.com/
>>
>> Top requests from the Dell Community:
>>
>> 1. Preinstalled Linux | Ubuntu | Fedora | OpenSuse
>> 2. Preinstalled OpenOffice
>> 3. No extra software Option
>> 4. A Linux Laptop
>> 5. No OS Preload
>
> I considered posting this last night, but decided against it because of
> the marketing technique behind it. It isn't a true market snapshot since
> it was verily heavily pushed by OSS fans on both Digg and Slashdot.
>
> I'm a big OSS fan myself, but I think those numbers have been cooked.

I happen to know many people who would gladly take a second partition that
runs Linux. They want to try a a gradual migration, but they just don't know
where to start. Dell could get that added value by adding Free software to
every hard-drive.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S