[News] Windows Vista Slammed Over Security, Again

Microsoft can't defend Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Defender for Vista has failed miserably when it comes to protecting
| users of Microsoft's latest operating system from a very basic attack.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/securifythis/soa/Microsoft_can_t_defend_Windows_Vista/0,139033343,339273717,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/25hxfy

Related:

Symantec: Microsoft conflict of interest is damaging internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec's chief executive has lambasted Microsoft for a dangerous
| conflict of interest as both the provider of an operating system
| and seller of software designed to secure its users.
|
| [...]
|
| Thompson told RSA delegates: "You wouldn't want the company that is
| keeping your books to audit your books. The same logic should apply.
| You wouldn't want the company that created your company's operating
| platform to be the one that is securing it from a broad range of
| threats. It's a huge conflict of interest."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/07/symantec_thompson_microsoft/

Security Suite Smackdown, Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| Eight of the biggest names in security go head to head in
| this round up of the best (and worst) of the apps that
| aim to keep you safe.

Microsoft's Live OneCare is 7th of out 8 products

Study: Symantec Best at Removing Rootkits (Microsoft is Worst)

,----[ Quote ]
| The application that performed the poorest, according to
| Thompson, was Microsoft's Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2),
| which is being built into the Windows Vista operating system.

Windows Live Onecare beta ate my hard disk

,----[ Quote ]
| So when the 90 day trial expired, he thought it well worth the
| $90 or so which Microsoft asked for a licence. When he rung up,
| he was surprised to be informed that the Beast isn't yet selling
| the product outside America.
|
| So he was suddenly left with an XP machine that was defenceless
| and with plenty of data that was now unreadable.

Windows Vista's Firewall offers false sense of security

,----[ Quote ]
| Knowing that Windows Vista's firewall is capable of outbound
| blocking, but that it wrongfully defaults to let all programs
| access the Internet when it should let none, we were looking
| for an intuitive way to correct the problem. After going into
| Windows Vista's Control Panel, the link that said "Allow a
| program through Windows Firewall" made the most sense to us.
| As a side note, we were logged in with administrator
| privileges during this test.
`----

http://content.zdnet.com/2346-10741_22-53425-1.html

Dear Windows Vista Firewall...

,----[ Quote ]
| When I ask you (repeatedly, and on multiple occasions) to turn off,
| why do you insist on re-activating yourself at random? Please go away.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/dear-windows-vista-firewall/

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/