[News] Bruce Schneier: Make Companies Liable for Impact of Bad Code

Make vendors liable for bad code says expert

,----[ Quote ]
| When U.S. courts ruled more than a decade ago that consumers weren't
| liable for fraudulent use of their credit card numbers after the
| first US$50, credit card companies -- which were left holding the
| huge bill -- took notice and dove into fighting fraud and losses.
|
| That's the same approach needed now in the software industry to
| help drastically improve IT security, according to Bruce Schneier,
| a security expert, author and CTO of U.S.-based enterprise security
| vendor BT Counterpane.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2064310434&rid=-50

Related:

=== Begin quote ==

    "The cost of these steps could reduce our operating margins. Despite
    these efforts, actual or perceived security vulnerabilities in our
    products could lead some customers to seek to return products, to reduce
    or delay future purchases, or to use competing products. Customers may
    also increase their expenditures on protecting their existing computer
    systems from attack, which could delay adoption of new technologies. Any
    of these actions by customers could adversely affect our revenue. In
    addition, actual or perceived vulnerabilities may lead to claims against
    us. While our license agreements typically contain provisions that
    eliminate or limit our exposure to such liability, there is no assurance
    these provisions will be held effective under applicable laws and
    judicial decisions."

Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally responsible
for selling software that is insecure.

== End quote ==

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
|                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
|                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Study: Billions of dollars spent on security

,----[ Quote ]
| Large U.S. businesses will spend $61 billion on security by the end
| of this year, representing 7.3 percent of total IT budgets in the
| country, according to a new report from Info-Tech Research Group.
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-7350_3-6135989.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

US lost $8 billion to computer crime

,----[ Quote ]
| Consumer reports' latest "State of the Net" survey has revealed that
| US punters lost more than $8 billion over the last two years to
| viruses, spyware and con tricks.
` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Homeland Security sees cyberthreats on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| To test the nation's response to a cyberattack, the Department
| of Homeland Security plans to hold another major exercise,
| called Cyberstorm II, in March 2008, Garcia said. A first
| such exercise happened early last year.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6157809.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2dpbmv

Zombie botnets attack global DNS servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers launched a sustained attack last night against key root servers
| which form the backbone of the internet.
|
| Security firm Sophos said that botnets of zombie PCs bombarded the
| internet's domain name system (DNS) servers with traffic.
|
| "These zombie computers could have brought the web to its knees,"
| said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174383/zombie-botnets-attack-global

EveryDNS, OpenDNS Under Botnet DDoS Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time the Web mob (spammers and phishers using botnets)
| decided to go after a security service, Blue Security was forced
| to fold and collateral damage extended to several businesses,
| including Six Apart.
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/everydns_opendns_under_botnet_ddos_attack.html

'Storm Trojan' ignites worm war