Re: [News] ODF Gets High Status with OASIS

> OpenDocument Version 1.1 Becomes OASIS Standard
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| OASIS has said that its members have approved version 1.1 of the
>| Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) as an
>| OASIS Standard, a status that signifies the highest level of
>| ratification.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/OpenDocument_Version_11_Becomes_OASIS_Standard

I particularly liked this quote:

	"We are thrilled with the progress to date," said Curtis Chong,
	president of the National (...) of the Blind in Computer
	Science. "Our views changed over time. OpenDocument is no
	longer a thing to be feared, as we once thought.  The OASIS
	process exemplifies what should be done if true accessibility
	to both a document format and the tools to manipulate it are to
	be achieved."

Now, I wonder why they were fearing an open format?  Could it be that a
certain proprietary software company had got there first, and, perish
the thought, lied to them?