Re: [News] Key SCO Man Abandons Ship

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 14 February 2007 16:20 \__

http://www.forbes.com/home/enterprisetech/2007/02/13/groklaw-sco-ibm-tech-enter-cz_dl_0213sco.html

> Yuk, another of those piggin web sites where you start to read then two pop
> ups (don't know what they said, it's an automatic thing these days) and
> then a bleedin introduction flash crap thing so you can't read the bleedin
> site anyways. Well, not if your an impatient anti-flashy things type person
> like I am.
>
> If I was an advertiser then I'd never pay for those pop ups, because they
> are either blocked (as that one is now) or people click the 'X'
> automatically, I'm sure I must close billions a day and it is so automated
> that I don't even know I've done it, no way in the world do those adverts
> work.
>
> And, if I were a web site host I wouldn't allow those pop ups because
> impatient anti-flashy people like me don't just block the pop up we block
> the site, it's easier you see, just one button. Gads I have whole regions
> of the world blocked, if I ever receive an mega billion pound order for
> this company from Japan, Russia, China and a few others, we will miss it
> here. Thank goodness I'm not a sales man thats all I can say.
>
> Where web sites are concerned, to me simple is beautiful. Web writers can
> go to town on the functions and other toys, so long as I can read the text
> or view the pictures which is in the end the purpose of the site and the
> only thing that got me to look at it, interfere with that and you break the
> purpose of the site.
>
> {steps down off soap box and dabs forehead with a tissue}.

The point where you can't tell apart 'aggressive' sites from ones where less
means more is hard to find. Eliminate too much and you'll find yourself
unable to comment, play some video, or even watch an important image whose
filename coincidentally starts with "ad". But it pays off. It reduces
crashes, it makes everything faster and it makes you happier (or less
frequently anoyed).

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
  5:20pm  up 22 days 17:38,  6 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.31, 0.30