Re: Linux and Vista users share driver pain

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 12 February 2007 20:16 \__

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=1694

> What a damning indictment of Vista.
>
> See that huge stack of Windows games on your shelf? Pick them up, and
> just throw them away, 'cos you'll never play any of those games again.

Absolutely. I think I got this point across when Oliver asked me about it. I
have a friend who has an extensive collection of games on the shelf/ves.
He's somewhat of a collector. Some people collect music. DRM betrays them.
Either way, it's less to the customer. Buy more, retain less. Preservation
is forsaken because it provides entertainment that endures (e.g. playing
nostalgic oldies and listening to music that brings back memories). Overall,
this change benefits the "quality content" provider (think about DRM'd films
that all expire after 7 days, so there's nothing to replay... just buy some
more content, again). Surely, this leads to backlash as well, but it is a
long-term connsequence.

> Microsoft have just thrown away their only real advantage on the
> Desktop - the vast back catalogue of games. Jesus! even the Mac has
> more native titles than Vista now.
>
> Of course you could always stick with XP ... until apps start
> appearing that "require Windows Vista". Hmm, how about dual-boot? Well
> that'll work ... until Microsoft stops issuing security updates, and
> the manufacturers stop providing driver updates. Microsoft are pushing
> for Vista adoption pretty hard, soon your choices are going to be
> extremely limited, as if they weren't already limited enough in the
> Windows world.
>
> Alternatively, just run Linux, then you can continue playing your
> collection of Windows games under WiNE/Cedega in perpetuity, *and*
> have a *real* OS that doesn't obsolete the games collection you
> paid a fortune for.

Whilst you have the source, you possess your memories. As long as you have
your music in standard-ish formats like Ogg Vorbis (hech, even MP3), you can
rest assured that you /own/ your music and it'll play 20 years down the
line. Just like those gramophones. I still listen to them old vinyls my dad
had as a teenager. Digital locks are built to have their key expired...
because it boosts profits.

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day (Mañana)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S