Re: No Point to this Newsgroup

  • Subject: Re: No Point to this Newsgroup
  • From: RonB <ronb02nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:46:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 16:08:31 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

> Aren't you bothered by the inaccuracies?  Roy has a tendency to write
> subject lines and summaries that misrepresent what the linked article
> actually says.  If you follow the links and read the stories, that's not
> much of a problem, but the natural tendency would be to become lazy, and
> just take the out-of-context quote and Roy's summary and headline, and
> then *think* you've got the story.

I haven't seen the inaccuracies you speak of but I don't follow every
story to its link. This is how it works for me. I see the "headlines" and
the quoted text -- if the story interests me, I follow the link. By then
the headline doesn't matter. If the story is good, it'll stand on its own.
Roy's links have led me to two good distributions -- CentOS, and SLAX. I
didn't know about either until I saw them mentioned in his news headlines.
I've gotten a lot of Linux information by following his links -- and I'm
thankful for that.

Does Roy sometimes have his own ax to grind? Sure, but who doesn't? So
what?

> BTW, if you really do find Roy's stories useful (e.g., you value
> convenience over accuracy), you can get them with RSS here:
>
> <feed://www.netscape.com/member/schestowitz/activity/stories/rss>

Why? I already read this newsgroup anyhow. I like getting the news here.

> or via the web here:
>
> <http://www.netscape.com/member/schestowitz/activity/stories>

See above.

> The advantage of getting Roy's posts via netscape.com is you can see how
> people are voting on them, and more easily avoid the particularly
> inaccurate ones, as those won't garner many votes.

Are you talking about Google Groups? As far as I'm concerned the whole
post voting scheme there is for small-minded dimwits who really, really
need to get a life. I've never "voted" on a post in my life -- and I'm
sure as hell not going to start now. I simply ignore those so-called
"ratings" -- and only use Google Groups for research.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"