Re: [News] Dell backs down from Linux promise

  • Subject: Re: [News] Dell backs down from Linux promise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:03:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Wednesday 28 February 2007 21:14 \__

> Op Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:47:41 -0800, schreef The Ghost In The Machine:
>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37893
>>
>>     DELL HAS DASHED the hopes of Open Saucers who wanted the maker of
>>     tin is to install the operating system in some of its computers.
>>
>> (Open Saucers?)
>>
>>     Open saucers hopes were raised when Dell posted a note on its online
>>     suggestion box, IdeaStorm Web site saying it was â??listening to its
>>     customersâ?? and certifying three of its corporate hardware lines --
>>     OptiPlex desktops, Latitude notebooks and Dell Precision
>>     workstations -- for use with Novell SUSE Linux.
>>
>>     [...]
>>
>>     Dell issued a statement today saying that it was not even close to
>>     installing the OS into any of its product ranges and that certifying
>>     the hardware for being ready to work with Novell SUSE Linux, was not
>>     the same thing.
>>
>> Sigh.
>
> I guess mr. Dell got a "Dear Michael" letter from Steve ...

And who didn't see that coming? It always happens.

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?
http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Meanwhile we discovered that Bill Gates sold over $3 billion worth of MSFT
stock. Without Dell chokehold, they would be nothing.

The same goes to H-P...

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82605/from/rss09

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
Tasks: 125 total,   2 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie