[News] The Latest Proprietary Software from Microsoft Said to Be "A Nightmare"

Vista, Office and Outlook 2007 are a Nightmare

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, if I can discourage companies from taking the plunge based
| on my experience, at least I will have saved my fellow procurement
| and operations brethren from Vista and Office 2007 hell. If IT
| comes knocking -- or you have plans to integrate your ERP SRM
| environment with Office -- tell them to read this post before
| wasting a minute on Redmond's joke of a product.
`----

http://www.spendmatters.com/index.cfm/2007/2/27/Vista--Outlook-2007-is-a-Nightmare

This guy is not anti Microsoft.

Meanwhile, Microsoft tries to get its hooks (lockins) onto businesses and
students.

Microsoft unveils Business Process Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Seeking to bring business process management to the mass market,
| Microsoft Corp yesterday announced an alliance designed to coalesce
| third-party BPM vendors around BizTalk Server, Office 2007, and the
| recently unveiled Windows Workflow Foundation.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=9895ED47-FF5F-4312-855F-BECF15DC4EB8

Office Ultimate 2007 - $75 for Uni Students!

,----[ Quote ]
| For a limited time we're offering Microsoft Office Ultimate
| 2007 to university students for the ridiculously low price of
| $75 outright or $25 for a one year license.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/mkordahi/archive/2007/02/27/office-ultimate-2007-75-for-uni-students.aspx

Again, it's about lockins. Students could otherwise choose Open Source,
ODF-oriented software. Office 2007 hasn't compatibility. When they graduate
they'll be forced to pay. A lot.