[News] Microsoft Linux Patent Claims Hurt Self More Than Linux

Survey says: Microsoft to lose more than gain from Linux IP assaults

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on a survey in my recent blog on Microsoft's MP3 IP
| travails, the community thinks Microsoft has more to lose than
| to gain. I think they are right. Microsoft may win a battle or
| two but at the cost of a war. Microsoft must know what violations
| may exist. By not taking action, it wants the best of both: no
| legal action, all PR benefit. Not a good bet. It didn't work out
| for SCO from the Unix angle.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2420

Patents cut both ways for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I held Microsoft stock (which I don?t) I would be furious.
|
| Here is Steve Balmer focusing on Linux, making the tired claim
| that there is so-called Intellectual Property in Linux that
| violates patents held by Microsoft. Meanwhile Microsoft gets
| hit with a hefty patent violation of its own; 1.5 billion
| (yes, that is a "B") for the use of the mp3 patent without
| payment of royalties.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/02/post_4.html

Linux To Microsoft: Bring It, Freakshow

,----[ Quote ]
| They are also calling upon leaders in the tech community, like
| Linus Torvalds, Mark Shuttleworth, and Google's leading triumvirate
| of Larry Page, Sergey Brin, and Eric Schmidt to call Microsoft's
| bluff.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2007/02/26/linux-to-microsoft-bring-it-freakshow

Novell fits in as well.