Re: Windows for Warships ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Monday 26 February 2007 13:58 \__

> 'The Type 45 destroyers now being launched will run Windows for Warships:
> and that's not all. The attack submarine Torbay has been retrofitted
> with Microsoft-based command systems, and as time goes by the rest of
> the British submarine fleet will get the same treatment, including the
> Vanguard class (V class). The V boats carry the UK's nuclear weapons
> and are armed with Trident ICBMs, tipped with multiple H-bomb warheads'
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/26/windows_boxes_at_sea/

And Mr. Security Guru jumps on the easy prey:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/windows_for_war_1.html

"And here's a related story about a software bug in the F-22 Raptor stealth
fighter. It seems that the computer systems had problems flying West across
the International Date Line."

Yup. A software bug crashed a plane yesterday. When I first saw it I couldn't
quite determine out what it ran and I didn't think it would be Windows (RTOS
is more likely), so this wasn't mentioned.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y http://youtube.com/watch?v=QNb7gPA1JFk
  6:00am  up 35 days  6:18,  7 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.52, 0.53