Re: Dell announcement

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 23:14 \__

> Re. The "ideastorm":-
>
> "It?s exciting to see the IdeaStorm community?s interest in open source
> solutions like Linux and OpenOffice. Your feedback has been all about
> flexibility and we have seen a consistent request to provide platforms that
> allow people to install their operating system of choice. We are listening,
> and as a result, we are working with Novell to certify our corporate client
> products for Linux, including our OptiPlex desktops, Latitude notebooks and
> Dell Precision workstations. This is another step towards ensuring that our
> customers have a good experience with Linux on our systems"
>
> "As this community knows, there is no single customer preference for a
> distribution of Linux. In the last week, the IdeaStorm community suggested
> more than half a dozen distributions. We don't want to pick one
> distribution and alienate users with a preference for another. We want
> users to have the opportunity to help define the market for Linux on
> desktop and notebook systems. In addition to working with Novell, we are
> also working with other distributors and evaluating the possibility of
> additional certifications across our product line. We are continuing to
> investigate your other Linux-related ideas, so please continue to check
> here for updates"
>
> Talk's cheap, of course, but owt is better than nowt?

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

This new article from CW suggests that there will be preloading on desktops
and laptops (which is why I thought it would not be a duplicate). Indeed,
cost will probably remain a funny thing. I guess that Microsoft shouldn't
whine about what it calls "craplets" after all. It actually helps it market
its rubbish.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:20am  up 33 days  4:38,  5 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.44, 0.48