[News] The Imminent Death of (Windows) Live?

Friday roundup: Troubles in Microsoft Live land

,----[ Quote ]
| It hasn't been such a great Friday for the Live teams over at Microsoft.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=281

The only thing going for Live are the links in Windows (let alone hostile
acquisition of competitors), which have already got Microsoft in trouble,
esp. in the EU. It is sheer monopoly abuse.

Many articles refer to Live as a messy budget drainer with very little
interest from the public.

Related:

Microsoft faces Office Live lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| A company called Office Live said Friday it has filed a
| trademark infringement lawsuit against Microsoft over the
| software giant's use of "Office Live" for its on-demand
| productivity tools.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6161689.html

FUD from Ballmer, 'sponsored' by Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| These statements about IP violations in Linux are being made by the
| CEO of a company which is being sued by AT&T for sending development
| work overseas to avoid US patents. Lest we forget, this is the same
| company which was successfully sued by Eolas for infringing patents
| relating to browser plug-ins.
|
| There's more. A small company named Visto is suing Microsoft for
| alleged mobile email and data patent infringements; another firm
| VirnetX is taking action against the Redmond giant for alleged
| patent infringement in VPN. Remember, Timeline successfully sued
| Microsoft for patent infringement in SQL Server.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9864&Itemid=1091

Is Windows Live dying?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last year, Microsoft's Windows Live service lineup has
| grown exponentially. At one point months ago, it seemed clear
| that every service Microsoft brought online would fall under the
| Live brand, but lately the trend seems to be moving slowly in
| the opposite direction. What's happening to Windows Live?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/2/20/7154

Windows Live Shopping no more - MSN Shopping to remain

,----[ Quote ]
| From today Windows Live Shopping beta will be taken offline, with users
| being sent to MSN Shopping, available at shopping.msn.com.
`----

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/02/19/windows-live-shopping-no-more-msn-shopping-to-remain.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/287gy6

Sources: Several Windows Live Projects Halted

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Windows Live desktop search project has been
| shelved "indefinitely," although not much reasoning has been
| given as to the reason for its demise.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sources_Several_Windows_Live_Projects_Halted/1163715423

Microsoft Office Live migration is adding insult to injury

,----[ Quote ]
| On January 29, Microsoft posted to the Office Live blog a status update
| re: the migration. The news isn't good.
|
| Office Live logoBeta testers are still potentially "months" away fromb
| eing migrated to the final version of their Office Live services.
| Functionality like backup and restore isn't going to work until
| their accounts are migrated. And Microsoft will give testers only
| a 24-hour heads-up when they are set to be migrated. During that
| 24-hour period, users won't be able to make changes to their
| Office Live sites.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=243

Office Live: Better Off Dead?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month I killed Office Live in an act of self defense, after
| repeated access problems and attempts to move my domain to another
| registrar. Judging from the comments to that post, there's an Office
| Live killing spree going on. Not surprisingly, Microsoft wants to put
| an end to the wanton killing.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/office_live_better_off_dead.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/ybsz2o

Microsoft profit on slide

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts are looking for any signs of improvement from
| Microsoft's internet division, which continues to lose market
| share in web search to Google.
|
| Microsoft's online services group saw revenue fall for the last
| four quarters and posted a loss in the past three quarters while
| it shifted to a new internet advertising platform and overhauled
| the company's web properties.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Microsoft Bug Pumps Up Web Ad Costs