[News] The Cost of Windows is Hidden, Linux Saves Money

Ka-Ching! Windows Vista's real cost

,----[ Quote ]
| That's what M$ took as a strategy, I think. And just like total
| revolution within M$ Office brings those logically thinking to
| OpenOffice.org, this revolution is an encouragement to migrate to
| Linux, where efficiency increase is not bound with inherent
| incompatibility. Mozilla is one of great examples here. So
| before you will have to ask your computer, what youwant to do
| today, take a while and think about being openminded and
| sticking to open standards.
`----

http://ztrek.blogspot.com/2007/01/ka-ching-windows-vistas-real-cost.html

Also of interest (old):

Corporate Largesse: Philanthropy or Self-Interest?

,----[ Summary ]
| Colleges praise Microsoft for giving away millions in software,
| but critics see a shrewd effort to quash the competition
`----

http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/art-44.dir/issue-33.dir/33a02801.htm

Microsoft's Reach in Higher Education

,----[ Quote ]