Re: [News] XBox Still Slaughtered by PS2, Which Now Costs Just 50 GB Pounds

BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> MS: 'We won't kill off the Xbox 360'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Once the Xbox 360 launched worldwide at the end of 2005, Microsoft
>> | had already dropped all software support for the Xbox and third
>> | parties quickly followed suite - though by its own admission
>> | Microsoft never planned on leading that particular console race,
>> | and the decision was made to launch its next console ahead
>> | of the competition.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=158535
>>

> Just goes to show that people are much happier if the games consol people
> take their time to make it right, rather than rushing it out before it is
> ready. I know there is a general 'why are we waiting' humm in the air for
> the PS3, but people are still willing to wait and still excited in
> anticipation of the launch date.

My No2 lad is keen to get a PS3, but he'll wait until its available,
after all, you cannot buy what isn't there.

> Do you remember when MS used to hold back, generating excitement for Win98
> or some other thing. Maybe they should have used that tactic with the
> xbox360, might have given the designers time to work out a cooling system.

How about leaving the heatsink on the gpu? :-)

>> Aussies and Europeans fume over PS3 price
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It seems that Australians will have to pay £400 while the Europeans
>> | will have to stump up £425. The Japanese only had to pay £253.531a
>> | nd the US £307.72.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37794
>>
>> Price cuts coming shortly on the face of it. Production costs are now much
>> lower.
>>

> If I was Mr Sony I would sort that one out, no doubt the PS3 will get a rush
> of buyers what ever the price, but between the Wee oops I mean Wii and PS3
> they could have the entire games market sown up. So why not under cut Xbox
> by a big margin, its the games they make their money on in the end.
>
> Better consoles, wider selection of games, and health and safety leaflets
> that mention the thick ear you can get if you do not move mum's ornaments
> to a safe location while you play, they can't lose this battle I reckon.

The hammering of the EU on prices here is not a good thing, I think - of
course, we are a little further away than some places, but that hardly
seems to justify a 25% price hike.