[News] OOXML is a Hoax, But Are Office Macros a Legal Landmine?

(OOXML) Billions of Documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: So if Macros are not included in Ecma 376, will developers who
| develop it independently get sued?"
|
| [MS rep:] "I will have to get back to you..."
|
| This has direct implications to the guys at Novell who are working on
| VBA integration with OpenOffice.org. Sure, with the new partnership
| between Microsoft and Novell, customers of Novell would not get sued,
| but the Novell team themselves and all other OpenOffice.org users are
| at risk here. So it's imperative the Microsoft provides an answer if
| closely related technologies to MSOOXML are also covered in this
| covenant, so it is possible for third parties to develop solutions.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/02/billions_of_doc.html

Related:

FFII opposes Fasttrack adoption of Microsoft OOXML format as ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII has several concerns with the proposed standard. OpenXML
| relies on undisclosed patents, and undisclosed or incomplete
| licensing terms that make any independent reimplementation
| impossible or heavily risky. It obliges implementors to
| reverse-engineer the behavior of old closed Microsoft
| applications and formats. It uses non-standard formats for
| languages and dates, and specifies known bugs, such as
| treating 1900 as a leap year.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_opposes_Fasttrack_adoption_of_Microsoft_OOXML_format_as_ISO_standard
http://tinyurl.com/2qxk7p