Re: [News] United Kingdom to Open an Open Source Policy Institute

  • Subject: Re: [News] United Kingdom to Open an Open Source Policy Institute
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:57:50 +0000
  • Desktop: http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.xml
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:24:27 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:

> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> "IBM, the BBC, and the Cabinet Office are among the organisations
>>> supporting the NOC launch."
>>>
>>> Good.
>>>
>>> It's about time the BBC did something other than promote Microsoft.
>>
>> Absolutely! Might start calling it the "British Broadcasting MicroSoft
>> Corporation".
>>

> Indeed.  The BBC are very large, though, and have a number of people who
> are very pro-Open Source.  Keep in mind their ogg trial for radio
> streaming, and the Dirac codec for video streaming.  It would appear that
> the techy people internally have lost battle with their senior folks who
> are being advised by Microsoft and other bodies who just want to take some
> of the BBC's money.

Yes, & it's quite likely that "their senior folks" aren't tech people &
haven't got the FFC about what's going on, & perhaps think "It's M$, it
must be ok".

> That doesn't mean that the war is lost, far from it, in my view.

We'll have to see, I suppose. But once M$ get their foot in the door...

--
Contrary to popular belief, the M$ trolls & shills
*can* tell the difference between their arse