Re: Dell Users Ask for Linux and OpenOffice

__/ [ Au79 ] on Thursday 22 February 2007 05:18 \__

> NewsFactor Network - Woodland Hills,CA,USA
>
> A suggestion that Dell should "preinstall Linux" to cut the price of new
> PCs attracted more than 45000 votes over a three-day period. ...

<http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Dell-Users-Ask-for-Linux-and-OpenOffice/story.xhtml?story_id=111006J2E79R>

As one blogger said, Dell has now got a dilemma of its own making. Dell knows
that people want Open Source software and Linux, but at the same time it
wants (or needs) to stay loyal to Microsoft. Intel is no exception as they
paid Dell $1 billion/year to reject AMD.

FWIW, here's some of the latest (nothing concrete as yet):

Dell gives desktop Linux its "full attention"

,----[ Quote ]
| As for this wave of support for the Linux desktop, Pearson said that
| "We are immediately sharing these ideas throughout our company, so
| that our managers can determine what we should do and/or some of
| the ideas will trigger others. Later this week, we will start
| posting those ideas where we have or will soon take action."
|
| While "I can't speak specifically to Linux," Pearson said, "I can
| assure you it is getting full attention."
`----

http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS8382062536.html

Related:

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?
http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

--
                ~~ With compliments

Roy S. Schestowitz     \ Switch to GNU/Linux. Visit
http://www.getgnulinux.org/
Swap:  1036184k total,   543536k used,   492648k free,    44008k cached