Re: We are already at end of proprietary code

  • Subject: Re: We are already at end of proprietary code
  • From: John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:01:00 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy.Schestowitz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

| We are seeing open source accelerating. Overall, there is an
| 87 percent increase. Once our customers take that leap to open
| source, they continue to use open source projects to further
| their goals.
`----

Here's an example. I've been looking at content management and workflow. Well, there's Sharepoint...a free installation to Windows 2003. A great enhancement with stellar integration with MS Office. And completely free...until now.

With WSS (Windows Sharepoint Services) 2.0 there were available add ons (free) such as the Business Scorecard, to allow for very high level OLAP presentations.

Now there is WSS 3.0 -- a nicer look, however, to program it requires an update to Visual Studio 2005. VS 2003 cannot use the 2.0 or 3.0 (required) .NET libaries.

And they've taken away the freebies. Now there is a Scorecard Server! And about 20 other "servers" for very trivial functionality...all of them paid products!

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/performancepoint/FX101680481033.aspx

At the same time, Eclipse is in the midst of building a very nice Workflow services extension (in java). It will be completely free and be based on open standards such as BPEL (Business Process Excecution Language).

Java Workflow Tooling
http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/jwt/

It seems that Microsoft is retrograde in this area...I mean, if I select a database such as SQL Server as my bedrock, I wouldn't mind paying the basic license, but to be nickel and dimed for each and every reporting service is ridiculous!

And at the same time, Eclipse, which I love, is coming up with something for free that I'm sure will be very inclusive and robust.