Re: [News] British Educational Agency (BECTA) Could Be in Bed With Microsoft

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/becta_report_sl.html

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/osc_joins_criti.html

> UK Government criticised for stifling open source in schools
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | MP Pugh reckons shcools should support independent or open source
> | software firms. He says, "In my experience a school is a key part
> | of the community and as such has a role to play in the economy of
> | that community. By supporting SMEs the local high-technology
> | industry will be encouraged which will benefit everyone."
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36464
>

> Becta under fire for procurement framework
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Nineteen MPs have accused a government agency of restricting the
> | procurement of software in schools.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/becta_procurement_criticised/
>

> MPs criticise government roadblocks to Open Source adoption in schools
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The UK Government's own studies have shown savings of up to 60% can be
> | made by schools and colleges using Open Source software. Despite this
> | clear advantage, some MPs believe the software procurement frameworks
> | from Becta and official advice from DfES effectively locks out the us
> | of free, Open Source software.
> `----
>
> http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=220
>

> Becta's schools software scheme reported to EC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | An advisor to Becta, the education technology quango, has complained
> | to the European Commission about its procurement process for firms
> | to provide online learning platforms and content to British schools.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/08/becta_ec_complaint/

Ye gods!

Come on Mark, wherever you are, explain to me what this "buy out fee" is,
and why we are tolerating this situation.

To aid you, cop for this:-

(QUOTE)
- 55% of respondents said the buy-out payment was unaffordable or only
affordable with difficulty.

- For a typical secondary school the cost of buy-out for desktop products
alone would be the equivalent of a new teacher's annual salary.

- School subscription pricing is based on the total number of 'eligible'
computers irrespective of whether Microsoft software is installed, required
or used on all the computers.

- An eligible PC is defined as any computer with a Pentium II processor or
higher or Apple Macintoshes (G3 or higher) meaning that a school can find
itself paying for software that it cannot run on its Apple Macs.

- Every additional PC results in a higher subscription payment and increased
buy-out fee.