Re: [News] Vista is Bad News to Game Developers

On 2007-01-09, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 21:59:35 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Opinion: 'Vista Casts A Pall On PC Gaming'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In the interest of full disclosure I should make it clear that in a
>>| previous life time I was responsible for all of Microsoft's OS
>>| strategy for games and media, from writing the original DirectX
>>| development plan, to managing Microsoft?s relationships with the
>>| industries leading game developers. 10 years after launching DirectX
>>| 1.0, I still have strong opinions and feelings about how to make
>>| Windows a great game platform, and probably feel a stronger sense
>>| of pique than most when I see Microsoft making careless or callous
>>| mistakes that impact game developers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314
>
> Whine... Whine... Whine....
>
> Whaaaaaah!  "Vista requires users to enter their password to install
> software!"  "The world is coming to an end!'

Sounds like there's more of a bitch than just typing a password:

   The principal user experience problem with LUA?s is that when a
   consumer wants to download and install a game demo off the Internet,
   they must first click past the IE warning dialogs, and then respond
   to the security elevation dialog Vista pops up requiring an admin
   account name and password to enable the software installation.

If they stopped making swiss cheese and started producing an operating
system with a bit of security, they could alleviate a part of that
problem.

   The intrusive dialogs are also oddly pointless, because Vista's
   frequent warning dialogs do nothing to differentiate legitimate
   commercial software from known hazardous products, so consumers will
   still mistakenly install malware. Kids will either have to ask their
   parents to respond to elevation dialogs per download they want to
   try, or have their own elevation account and password and continue
   to download whatever they want.

I don't know why they wrqap the whole thing up in a game of 'Simon
Says' or 'Mother, may I?' if they're going to play nanny.

   The problem starts with installing your game and Vista and
   registering it with the Game Explorer. Unlike the parental control
   system, the Game Explorer is extremely prominent to consumers who
   are likely to expect to find the games they install in Vista listed
   there after installation. Microsoft has supplied compatibility
   listings for legacy games which will automatically recognize and
   register them with the Game Explorer when they are installed.

   One of the pieces of information a game has to supply to register with
   Game Explorer is a ESRB rating. Games that do not supply a rating will
   be subject to the ?Not Rated? parental control setting. Since games are
   ?trusted? to supply accurate ratings information, one might expect that
   they are also trusted to handle parental messaging themselves. Not so,
   any game that registers with Game Explorer becomes ?subject? to Vista
   parental controls which will proceed to block the game from running and
   offer to delete the link to the game if you try to run it from anywhere
   on the system other than within the Game Explorer.

This sounds more and more like a deliberate act to make gaming so near
impossible that it (hopefully, to MS) drives people to the exploding
Xbox.

> God help you if you plan to install software on Linux or OS X.

I just did. And some upgrades, too. All without any problems.

Am I to take it that God is on my side?

--
A computer without Windows is like ice cream without ketchup.