[News] Linux Smartphones Bring Open Standards, Including Palm

Startup Promises First Linux Smartphone Based On Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Taiwanese startup that develops mobile hardware and
| software, next month plans to start selling what it claims to
| be the first Linux smartphone based completely on open standards.
|
| [...]
|
| Access, a Japanese mobile software company that acquired PalmSource--the
| maker of the Palm OS--also is planning to introduce its commercial-grade
| Linux OS for smartphones in the first half of this year. But parts of it,
| including the user interface, are proprietary and closed to developers,
| says Moss-Pultz.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196802206

I also noticed that Mcirosoft's search is virtually snubbed, or possibly
ignored.

Samsung to include Yahoo, Google services on phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Samsung Electronics will pre-load services from Yahoo on its mobile
| phones, along with one-click access to applications and services
| from Yahoo's competitor Google on select models of its mobile
| phones, beginning early this year, the company said in announcements
| Monday and Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/010907-samsung-to-include-yahoo-google.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

And that's _despite_ the fact that Sansung do some projects in collaboration
with Microsoft (e.g. Origami).