[News] New Linux-based iPod Challenger with Wi-Fi?

Rumour: CES: New Linux-based Wireless MP3 Player

,----[ Quote ]
| Tegic's new open software application framework, codenamed
| SmartScreens, enables businesses in the mobile device and
| content industry to deliver compelling consumer solutions
| for a broad range of wirelessly connected devices.
`----

http://www.smartscreensmobile.com/

Very few details available at this stage, but it has just been
unveiled at CES.

See:

http://www.smartscreensmobile.com/media-solution.php

Calacanis worked in AOL (apparently behind this particular project) and had
this to say/offer...

Will Calacanis build a better iPod?

,----[ Quote ]
| "As Dave points out any hint of DRM and the project is over. We
| don't need any VC money to do this Dave. We just produce the best
| player and make 1,000 of them--all presold. The money comes to us
| first and we don't have to put up ANY money. After we get 1,000
| made we do version 2 six months later and produce 10,000 of them.
| If that sells out we do 100,000. We are not doing this for the
| money anyway... if it becomes a 10,000 device a year company and
| we break even I'm fine with that--I just want a better player!"
|
| A DRM-less player, wi-fi enabled and open-source style hackable
| could be the Zune everyone wanted and Microsoft failed to
| deliver. It remains to be seen (and frankly, isn't very likely)
| whether Calacanis will push forward with his new ideas but, the
| fact is he's gotten people talking about the future of portable
| entertainment and that alone is a productive exchange.
`----

http://www.digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/12/01/will-calacanis-build-a-better-ipod/

Related:

Wizpy Linux based media player

,----[ Quote ]
| Media player wispy from Turbolinux Corporation is a Linux based media
| player. With a 1.7" OLED liquid crystal display and 4GB flash memory
| the media player comes with pre installed Linux system.
`----

http://www.iyiz.com/media-devices/wizpy-linux-based-media-player/

Archos (Linux-based) 604 WiFi Ultimate Gallery: Why It's a Zune Challenger

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/archos-604-wifi-ultimate-gallery-why-its-a-zune-challenger-213637.php