Re: [News] Microsoft Apologist Disappointed with Vista, Looks Elsewhere

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> Uninspiring Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| How Microsoft's long-awaited operating system disappointed
>| a stubborn fan.
>|
>| For most of the last two decades, I have been a Microsoft
>| apologist. I mean, not merely a contented user of the
>| company's operating systems and software, not just a fan,
>| but a champion.
> `----
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17992/page1/

I found this quote of interest:

| Although my computer meets the minimum requirements of a
| "Vista Premium Ready PC," with one gigabyte of RAM, I could
| run only a few ­simple programs, such as a Web browser and
| word processor, without running out of memory. I couldn't
| even watch a movie: Windows Media Player could read the
| contents of the DVD, but there wasn't enough memory to
| actually play it. In short, you need a hell of a computer
| just to run this OS.

It is resource intensive.  Applications using the specific
libraries required will be resource intensive also.

| Struggling to get my computer to do the most basic things
reminded me forcefully of similar battles with previous
versions of Windows--for instance, the time an MIT electrical
engineer had to help me figure out how to get my computer to
display anything on my monitor after I upgraded to Windows
98. Playing with OS X Tiger in order to make accurate
comparisons for this review, I had a personal epiphany:
Windows is complicated. Macs are simple.