Re: [News] Microsoft Apologist Disappointed with Vista, Looks Elsewhere

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 09 Jan 2007 03:08:25 +0000
<bidb74-lhk.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Uninspiring Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | How Microsoft's long-awaited operating system disappointed a stubborn fan.
>> |
>> | For most of the last two decades, I have been a Microsoft apologist. I
>> | mean, not merely a contented user of the company's operating systems and
>> | software, not just a fan, but a champion.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/17992/page1/
>
> Abandon ship!

I'll admit to wondering what "fugu" is.  (Do I really want to know?)
However, apparently the author now likes fugu, since she's converted
to MacOSX.

>> I have just read about Microsoft dropping FireWire support in Vista. How
>> convenient!
>
> OMG! Link?

Dropping is a very strong word.  Postponed is probably a
more accurate description. :-)  (Especially where Vista
is concerned.)

However, this odd little tidbit did show up in a Google search:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/bus/1394/IP_1394.mspx

This is dated 2004, FWIW.

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2006/05/01/xp-to-get-full-firewire-800-support/

suggests that XP will get 1394b support (Firewire 800), but does not
say precisely when.  (This article is dated May 1, 2006, so is a little
more recent.)

Therefore, I must conclude that Microsoft is dropping support for
Firewire 400 and adding support for Firewire 800.

I have no idea how messy this will get for existing Firewire-400
capable equipment (presumably storage drives).

A Google on "Linux Firewire support" coughed up

http://www.linux1394.org/

which appears to be on track and already incorporated into 2.6.19,
though I don't know whether that's 1394, 1394b, or both.

http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/pg23_firewireidecasekits.htm

includes a link for "Linux Firewire Support" (I can't give the URL
thereto directly; for some reason the page wants to launch it for me).
The actual installation looks simple enough but the error message

    ieee1394: Selfid completion called outside of bus reset!

might give some pause, and the requirement that one must do

    echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi

if the system doesn't autodetect the drive is definitely
on the wrong side of arcane.  It is possible this has long
since been resolved, as the page is dated 2003, though a
note added in 2004 suggests RHE 3.0 has no support at all
for firewire hard drives; fortunately, Fedora does.

(I for one do not know what Gentoo offers in this space,
since I do not have such a device at home.  I would hope
for the best.)

HTH

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.