[News] IBM Upgraded; Have Linux Investments Paid Off?

IBM Lifted by Upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| UBS upgraded IBM to buy from neutral and boosted its price target
| on the stock to $118 from $100, citing improving fundamentals.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techhardware/10331135.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Related:

2006 in Review: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| According to its CEO, IBM has top share in servers and Linux,
| #1 in blade servers (huge growth potential), #1 in supercomputing
| and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and #1 in middleware.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2006/12/28/2006-in-review-ibm.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/yxq2qd

IBM project aims to help blind use ODF applications

,----[ Quote ]
| APIs will faciliate visuals to be interpreted by screen readers
| that reproduce information verbally
|
| [...]
|
| The technology is based on interfaces IBM originally developed with
| Sun Microsystems Inc. to make programs on Java and Linux platforms
| accessible to the blind.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/13/HNibmblindodf_1.html

The Best Blue Chip for 2007: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Similarly, by tapping into the open-source movement, harnessing the
| power of its new software acquisitions, and understanding the
| immense potential of everything from SoulPad and the Smart
| Surveillance System to its supercomputers, IBM consultants
| are poised to provide their clients the tools and information
| they will need to stay competitive.
`----

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06111416.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/ydo29n

IBM profit rises 47%; sales up 5% to $22.6 billion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B6782D684%2D7987%2D4A42%2D9BB8%2DC68712261DA5%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/ygajqo

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
|
| IBM is watching the apparent about-face with interest - and
| skepticism. "I don't see [Microsoft] doing very much yet for open
| source that isn't at arm's length," Sutor said. "Possibly this is
| a way of perpetrating previous [anti-Linux] strategy while
| superficially looking better."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Is IBM open source's little friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...That is because one of the big post-Linuxworld features is all about
| IBM, and how IBM is going to use open source to beat big, bad Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The story, from Motley Fool, says IBM is going to get Linux running faster
| on its proprietary chips, go after smaller customers using the cost
| benefits of open source, and push an "open health care framework" to
| push computers into smaller medical offices.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=758

Ballmer rattles intellectual property saber at Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides, does Microsoft think IBM will stay on the litigation sidelines,
| if it decides to play the patent card? IBM makes a lot of its billions
| from Linux, and I can't see Big Blue paying Microsoft off to continue
| using its favorite operating system.

IBM: You Don't Need a Computer to See Its Growth Potential -- Barron's

,----[ Quote ]
| Palmisano: "We have a top share in servers and Linux, No. 1 in blade
| servers, which is a huge growth area... No. 1 in supercomputing, No. 1
| in SOA... We're No. 1 in middleware... IBM is a stronger company today
| than it was four years ago, with stronger margins, solid cash and
| earnings." Barron's: You don't need a computer to know what that
| trend could do for IBM's shares.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061203/21632_id.html?.v=1

IBM's Power Architecture Attracting More Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM makes less revenue on servers sold with Linux, compared to
| those that ship with one if its commercial operating systems --
| such as AIX or OS 400 -- but that's offset by the company's
| growing Linux support practice. Linux compatibility also makes
| the company's servers accessible to a wider variety of users,
| such as educational institutions on limited budgets. "We
| benefit from the wider ecosystem that Linux is a part of,"
| says Jollans.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061202/tc_cmp/196601027

IBM Achieves Major "Linux on POWER" Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061201/0190250.html