Re: [News] First-of-a-kind COmputer Runs Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John A. Bailo
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 10:38:37 -0800
<BridndF8VL6sozzYnZ2dnUVZ_h-vnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Electronic Paper: Getting ready for mass production
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The prototype and most likely the mass produced product is
>> | an embedded computer based on a Gumstix developed motherboard
>> | running Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.duvet-dayz.com/archives/2007/01/07/262/
>>
>> Linux at the edge of innovation.
>
> This is the "computer" I've been waiting for!

You and many other consumers, presumably.  The catch: is it
what the advertisers, government, and manufacturers want?

Many people want illicit drugs, for example -- doesn't
mean they'll get 'em. :-)

(This is apart from the obvious interest in such a device
from certain software monopolies -- though last time I
looked said monopoly is about 10x bigger than Sony.)

The pictures are quite interesting, detailing a small
handheld device with a pullout 240x320 4.8" diagonal
display.  When folded up, it's about the size of a
cigarette pack.  (Presumably, a good chunk of that pack is
because of battery requirements and of course the
rollout display proper.)

The power consumption is touted to be extremely low as
well -- very good for consumers.  The main issue I see
is general durability of the display (what if it tears?)
and that there's only one button, though there might
be side switches hidden by the hand holding the device.
(Ideally there'd be a rocker switch or scrollwheel just
under the thumb in the left photo.  It is possible the
big button is actually a joybutton; touch the left side
and the cursor goes left.)

> A simple, lightweight, portable, text device.   Something that I can read,
> write, save and maybe transmit writing.

And somehow make money for media sellers.  Can't be
too careful nowadays; gotta ensure that works don't
get pirated etc. etc.

The movie is a WMV, which is easily playable through my
Linux system.  Among many other things, it shows the back
of the device, which has a metal pantograph to extend
the display (thereby addressing my stiffness concern to
some extent).

The price is less than clear, although contemporary mobile
phones with higher-color (and more energy-hungry) displays
might sell for $200 and I could easily see this going for
$100-$200 in the US market.

The relevant website appears to be
http://www.polymervision.com/index.html .

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx