[News] The Latest Internet Explorer Still a Web Developer's Nightmare

IE7 Web Developers Nightmare

,----[ Quote ]
| IE7 is a night mare for most of the developers that try to comply
| with standards for crossbrowsing.
| I recently needed to rewrite a web site so it works on firefox too...
| the surprising element was that when testing the new and the old site
| on IE7 I found out that many things does not function as expected and
| "not function as expected" isn't the right word for it, it was more
| a question of working at all.
`----

http://it-gears.blogspot.com/2007/01/ie7-nightmare-for-web-developers.html

Related:

IE 7 Cautionary Tale

,----[ Quote ]
| After updating to the new browser, none of the computers
| could access QuickBooks, the CRM system or e-mail. The IT
| manager had to remotely administrator each machine, from
| the U.S. He turned back to a restore point a day earlier,
| undoing the chaos caused by IE 7.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/ie_7_cautionary_tale.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/ycjw4k

No wonder many department forbid the installtion of IE7.

Why Microsoft Expression Web redefines irony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://shifteleven.com/articles/2006/11/16/why-microsoft-expression-web-redefines-irony

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this is absolutely devastating!  As near as I can tell, the poor
| guy at Microsoft has been trying to support open standards against
| management.  He doesn't say much about the history, i.e. the fact that
| Microsoft didn't do anything with IE until they were recently forced to
| by Firefox competition.   The feedback is amazing.  Example:
|
| Quote:
| -------------
| So if you believe that the reason for IE's lack of standards support is
| something other than malice of forethought to strangle other browsers,
| you are wrong. If you have followed the anti-trust trial you would have
| seen the actual evidence for these decisions. Microsoft is an
| anti-competitive company run by unethical shitheads.
|
| This won't change until the workforce is slashed and the entire company
| culture changes. Steve Ballmer is the king of the shitheads, so when he
| goes things might get better. But until then, expect MS to only do the
| absolute minimum to defuse the worst criticism. Remember my words:
| unethical shitheads.
| -------------
| End quote
|
| Erik cited this same guy's blog a few days ago to support the notion
| that Microsoft is dedicated to standards compliance and is doing the
| reasonable thing (I think that's why he cited it).  The way this story
| has developed, it shows exactly the opposite, and is very revealing
| about sentiments out there in the developer world.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/cc1ad063dcc0400d

Microsoft removes IE7 for Windows XP from WSUS

,----[ Quote ]
| We have verified a problem in the metadata for the latest IE7.0 update
| rollup package...
`----

http://bink.nu/Article8933.bink

Wake up and smell the IE7!

,----[ Quote ]
| The results of our study suggest that around 12.7 million websites are
| in need of a little TLC because of IE7. Maybe even more.
`----

http://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/design/wake-up-and-smell-the-ie7

IE7 'critical update' causes headaches for managed desktop environments

,----[ Quote ]
| As many organisations may not feel compelled to turn off automatic
| updates, they should be prepared to face this is issue when Internet
| Explorer 7 is downloaded and installed automatically.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/12/ie7_critical_update_managed_desktops/

IE 7 bugs abound

,----[ Quote ]
| "But browser testers may already be at risk, according to security
| researcher Tom Ferris. Late Tuesday, Ferris released details of a potential
| security flaw in IE 7. An attacker could exploit the flaw by crafting a
| special Web page that could be used to crash the browser or gain complete
| control of a vulnerable system, Ferris said in an advisory on his Web site.
| Microsoft had no immediate comment on Ferris' alert."
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6034054.html?part=rss&tag=6034054&subj=news

Which Is Safer: Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the SmartWare test, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 blocked 690
| known phishing sites, or 66.35 percent of the total. In contrast,
| Firefox blocked 78.85 percent when using a local antiphishing
| database and 81.54 percent when using the online database.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061114/bs_nf/47901

Information disclosure bug blights IE7 release

,----[ Quote ]
| The flaw stems from error in the handling of redirections
| for URLs with the "mhtml:" URI handler. Security
| notification firm Secunia reports that the same bug
| was discovered six months ago in IE6 but remains unresolved.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/

CLARION CALL: IE 7 Not Ready For Prime Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Either leave your dog at home, or make sure it's trained better
| before inviting it into my house to make a mess on my carpet.
`----

http://saunderslog.com/2006/10/18/clarion-call-ie-7-not-ready-for-prime-time/

IE7 Released As High-Priority Update

,----[ Quote ]
| "Looks like FF2 is already outnumbering FF 1.5, while IE7 is having a
| hard time to find followers. Will today's release as a
| high-priority, force-fed update fix this issue?"
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/02/1424203&from=rss

Attackers end-run around IE security

,----[ Quote ]
| The vulnerability underscores that the improvements in security in the
| latest version of Microsoft's browser, Internet Explorer 7, do not
| eliminate the threats of older components of Windows, said Gunter
| Ollmann, director of IBM Internet Security Systems' X-Force
| vulnerability research team.
|
| [...]
|
| Online criminals frequently use flaws in ActiveX to install malicious
| code on victims' PCs via their browsers. One tool - known as WebAttacker
| and sold from a Russian website for about $20 - has had great success
| in compromising the security of victims' computers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/08/ie_security_analysis/

Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2 : the battle intensifies

,----[ Summary ]
| With regards to new versions, the leading browser Internet
| Explorer has been beaten by its challenger over the last two weeks
`----

http://www.xitimonitor.com/en-US/Events/index-1-2-1-63.html

Microsoft Releases First IE7 Update

,----[ Quote ]
| When visiting certain web pages, the Phishing Filter may increase
| CPU usage while evaluating the page contents and the system may
| become slow to respond.
`----

http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=19020

Are you being served?

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many Microsoft desktop users this week I clicked on the icon
| 'upgrade to Explorer 7'. Mistake. Outlook and Express disappeared.
| As did the Explorer multi-choice menu. Panic. Has it deleted all
| my emails?
`----

http://www.it-director.com/business/content.php?cid=9069&ref=fd_itd

IE7 Breaks Outlook 2003

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what did I do? I removed IE 7 from all of my users computers and
| faster than you can say "microsoft needs help", they were all
| printing Outlook emails with headers again.
|
| Im in the process of reviewing Office 2007 and Windows Vista,
| and it wont be much different than this review.
`----

http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/ie7-breaks-outlook-2003/

IE7 users: beware! Microsoft telling their staff not to touch it...

,----[ Quote ]
| My mum's friend, who's been working for Microsoft for quite a while,
| just told my mum that Microsoft have started telling their employees
| not to use IE7 as it crashes a lot.
`----

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=36928.0

IE7's anti-phising scheme worries small business owners

,----[ Quote ]
| ...small business owners and corporations are worried that users
| will leave their sites feeling unsafe, as they are not eligable
| to smaller businesses.

IE6 vs Firefox vs Firefox vs Safari

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the Acid 2 test done on a 13 inch black MacBook running
| Parallels Beta 3 with coherence running from a boot camp partition.
| The open browsers are IE6 (left), Firefox for Windows (Top middle),
| Bonecho for mac (optimized Firefox build for intel, bottom middle),
| and Safari (Right).
`----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41384028@N00/339365515/

Firefox, Safari Gain on Internet Explorer in '06

,----[ Quote ]