Re: [PLAGIARIST ALERT] wjbell - proven plagiarist

  • Subject: Re: [PLAGIARIST ALERT] wjbell - proven plagiarist
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 13:11:29 +0100 (CET)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
> Roy Culley espoused:
>
>> wjbell had originally denied ever using any tool to help
>> him write his firewall scripts. He later conceded that he
>> had used the tool but that he had made so many changes the
>> copyright no longer applied. This was of course an
>> outright lie. His script was so similar to what was
>> produced by the tool that he is clearly a plagiarist and
>> hence also a liar.
>
> I still, to this day, cannot comprehend why anyone would
> ever consider doing such a thing.  I recall a few years
> ago, visiting a friend who was at an art college, and
> getting into conversation with some of the students there.
> They were coming up to graduation, and were discussing
> getting jobs.  A starter with someone went like this:
>
> Student:  "Hi Mark.  You know how you add a couple of
> O-levels to your CV?"
> Mark:  "Err, no, do you?"
> Student:  "Yeah, everyone does it - they never check"
> Mark:  "Umm, what if they do?"
>
> etc...
>
> Well, I've never augmented a CV, nor have I claimed other
> work as my own, nor will I.

It is always best policy to not make any intentional
misrepresentations on one's resume.  It can catch up to one
unexpectedly.  Employment agreements are very specific,
especially verbage about possibilities of being fired if a
misrepresentation is discovered.

It is better to do with a slightly lower salary or humbler
position, then accelerate up the through the ranks, rather than
start at a higher position and get fired.

Also, there is value in not taking credit for someone else's
work.  Then one's statements become credible and can have
confidence in what they state they have truly done.

--
HPT