[News] Leaving Microsoft, to Serve a Better Cause (And Some Ugly Truths)

A World-Changing Investment

,----[ Quote ]
| You'd think having a high-profile, high-paying job at Microsoft would
| be all someone could want out of life... He left his life as a
| Microsoft executive for a sack of books and a yak. And a
| whole lot more.
|
| [...]
|
| Leaving Microsoft hasn't made John Wood's life easier. "I work
| harder now, I work longer hours," he says. "But I'm much more
| fulfilled -- much happier.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/01/04/a-worldchanging-investment.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/y3fgsl

Here's a must-read:

        Prisoner of Redmond:  Yet Another Way Paul Allen Isn't Like You or Me

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert X. Cringely reveals the true reason why Paul Allen of Microsoft fame
| left the Redmond company, even though it was on track to become an
| extremely valuable stock. Considering Microsoft's track record and behavior
| over the years, this should not be surprising, but if true it is beyond
| pall!
|
| [...]
|
| There are hundreds of Microsoft millionaires (and even a few
| Microsoft billionaires) in the suburbs of Seattle. [Roy: there used to be a
| blurb here about their retirement and guilt, due to ethics]
|
| [...]
|
| During one of those last long nights working to deliver DOS 2.0 in
| early 1983, I am told that Paul Allen heard Gates and Ballmer discussing
| his health and talking about how to get his Microsoft shares back if
| Allen were to die.
|
| Maybe that's just the sort of fiduciary discussion board members have to
| have, but it didn?t go over well with Paul Allen, who never returned to
| Microsoft, and over the next eight years, made huge efforts to secure
| his wealth from the fate of Microsoft.

                ( link now broken, no Google cache )