Re: [News] REALbasic - Free for Linux, Pricey for Mac and Windows

Tom Shelton wrote:

> On 2007-01-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> REAL Software Ships REALbasic 2007 Release 1
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| REALbasic is a full-featured software development environment
>>| suited to creating all kinds of applications, from utilities
>>| to enterprise-class applications. REALbasic for Windows or Mac
>>| is priced at $200, with an introductory price of $99. REALbasic
>>| for Linux Standard Edition is offered for free.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application
REAL_Software_Ships_REALbasic_2007_Release_1
>> http://tinyurl.com/sq4ce
>>
>> Another reason to work under Linux, if Basic is at all needed.
>
> Why?  I can get VB.NET 2005 Express for free for windows.  And looking at
> the feature list, I would say that VB2005 Express has as many if not more
> features...

All locking you into one vendor which when push comes to shove
results in systems that don't work.

I would say the best bet is to use something like Gambas under Linux.
Its free.
Its open source (GPL).
And when push comes to shove, you can add features and integrate
with everything else under Linux and open source.
So your full feature set for Gambas believe it or not is
Gambas itself and just about everything that runs under Linux.
You can ship an all powerful product tomorrow with Gambas, Apache, Gimp all
co-mingled and glued together with bash scripts and C, and not
worry about releasing it because its all GPL.
You can't do that with closed source approaches.

The only reason for needing to use realbasic is if your code
needs to run on Linux, windopz and mac computers and/or you
need support. But Linux engineers don't need support.
To me, multiple platforms is just waste of time.

So the best bet is still in my opinion Gambas and a mixture
of bash scripts, C and other Linuxy languages to the get
the best almighty and powerful systems out there built.