Re: [News] 'Open' XML = A Very Sick Joke

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:08:44 -0600, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | This is not a specification;
>> | this is a DNA sequence. For example, take this part of the
>> | OOXML "Standard":
>> |
>> |     2.15.3.6 autoSpaceLikeWord95 (Emulate Word 95 Full-Width
>> |            Character Spacing)
>> |
>> |     This element specifies that applications shall emulate the
>> |     behavior of a previously existing word processing application
>> |     (Microsoft Word 95) when determining the spacing between full-width
>> |     East Asian characters in a document's content.
>> `----
>
>Gotta admire MS's slickness.  How to write an anti-specificiation.

Yes its called compatibility with legacy software/documents.

Linux was still all 7-bit ASCII in 1995, no problems with East Asian
character spacing in EMACS or vi, I presume... In fact Linux has no
pro bl e m s wi thcha rac ter spa cin g at al lif I bele iv eth is scr
e ensh ot:

http://www.softmaker.com/english/images/ofl06_en.png

Oh, the lovely excel clone. No need for detailed character spacing
rules in the document format, uh?