Re: Gates Talking Looney Stuff Again...

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 04 January 2007 16:22 \__
>
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> > <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >  wrote
> > on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 07:53:24 +0000
> > <5772909.VGEfx5fSG5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>  A Robot in Every Home
> >
> > Hmph.  Somebody's not been reading their Asimov. :-)
> >
> > http://www.irobot.com/
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Robots
> >

> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
> >>

> http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=9312A198-E7F2-99DF-31DA639D6C4BA567&ref=sciam
> >>
> >> Only in a 6-bedroom house in Seattle. How is that kettle with Wi-Fi that
> >> delivers people the weather coming along? Are people in rural India buying
> >> it like cupcakes yet? The man remains out of touch with the world's needs
> >> and dangers.
> >
> > Personally, I for one think that the most likely
> > application will be a computer control system somewhere
> > in the basement.  This system would interact with the
> > Internet, control lighting, power, phone usage, and media,
> > and generally be the "nerve center" of the home.
> >
> > Things like Roomba(tm)s might also be used for multiple
> > purposes; the Roomba is after all a floor cleaner, but
> > it can also act as a sentinel (though a set of fixed
> > cameras might be slightly cheaper).  The main problem is
> > battery life.
> >

> >> Related:
> >>
> >> Gates: Why I Hate Spam
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/8ne8o (Microsoft.com, from WSJ)
>

> I think my opinion was taken out of context. I was trying to suggest that, to
> Bill Gates, the world is that wealthy little bubble in Seattle. Making
> statements about car accidents ending, for example, is unrealistic, unless
> of course you're looking generations ahead. Besides, the world has much
> greater problems to cope with. The Japanese and American niche for robotics
> is not representative of all.

Why of course this is the reason you were trying to mock the article.
I'm sure that the fact that Bill Gates wrote it is merely a
coincidence. If it were written by some Linux guy I'm sure you would
have had the same reaction... right?

And as you claim, you were mocking and the ridiculing the article
because "the world has much greater problems to cope with" and this
article just "is not representative" of the real problems that exist in
the world.

Exactly Roy Schestowitz! Here's some very recent posts that YOU made
which truly address the real problems facing the world today.

* pSX Emulator Coming to Linux

* Wi-Fi Multimedia Design Includes Linux Applications

* Video - Ubuntu Hackers Make Progress with Wiimote

* More MythTV Offers to Technophobes

* PS3 Linux Gets Wider Support

* Pull in HDTV with Linux and the HD-5500

Yes. A robot that could potentinally help elderly or disabled people is
completely useless. What the world really needs is a pSX Emulator for
Linux.  The Wi-Fi multimedia design and more MythTV solutions are what
these people really need. Those disabled people don't need a robot to
help them become more self-sufficient. What they really need is the
(Linux exclusive) HD-5500 for HDTV and better Linux support for the
PS3.

Yes Roy, thanks for promoting the things that really do address the
problems facing the world today. I'm sure that billions of people will
be releived to find that Ubuntu hackers have made progress with the Wii
remote.

> I'm all for automation and my apartment is quite 'digital', but I don't think
> you can transform everything into a personal vision. Gates has been trying
> (for many years in fact) to inject that Tablet PC concept, very
> unsuccessfully. Forcefeeding of Vista with its hefty hardware requirement
> (cost) is proving hard enough already... while at the same time Gates admit
> that DRM---the main 'feature' is Vista---is an utter PITA. Look at US
> businesses. Many of them still run Windows 2000... if only it was less Swiss
> a cheese, I'm sure even fewer would be inclined to upgrade... Microsoft
> backward compatibility 'pinch/squeeze' aside...

Your pathetic back peddling and attempt to weasel out of what you said
is noted.