Re: [News] Linux Sighting at the Pub

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish+++
<flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:58:30 -0500
<Wmanh.17$gf7.16@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:34:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Erotic photo hunt kiosks at Brats run Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It was booting into Linux. Take a look at blurry screenshots for
>> | proof. It must have been downloading some kind of updates or
>> | something because when it returned to the main menu it had
>> | some new games listed.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.dane101.com/current/2007/01/03/omg_erotic_photo_hunt_kiosks_at_brats_run_linux
>
> Wow!
> A Linux sighting in the wild!
> Call out the cavalry!
> Call CNN!
> You must have had an orgasm over seeing that one Roy!
> BTW..............
>
> Why would anyone pay money to play Tetris, Forzen Bubble, Tux Racer or one
> of the other crappy Linux games?

No pictures are available (which is probably just as
well; the Moral Majority or their modern equivalent
would be in an uproar), but the game apparently was a
"compare-the-picture" type -- and the pictures were
apparently rather naughty (I'd hope for a comfortably
lounging woman wearing lingerie but it *is* a bar; it could
be anything from a moderately attractive witch wearing a
Pilgrim costume (carrot nose optional) to a ... well, let's
just leave it to your imaginations out there, shall we?
There's a *lot* of weird stuff on the Web...)

As an actual game, it's not much, presumably; even
Windows might be able to handle displaying two pictures,
maybe with "hot points", and some text stating "click on
the differences" with a little code to count mulligans.
Tcl/Tk would have no difficulty at all.  Flash would
probably be even simpler from a user's standpoint (although
"tclets" are fun to play with, but they don't interact
well with other objects -- yet).

But yeah, you're right.  We'd all be better off buying
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition for our PCs
(plus an extra 2-3 GB or so) and then playing Solitaire,
Minesweeper [*], and (Space Cadet) Pinball.

Oh, wait, they're removing Pinball.  The fiends!  And I
so wanted to play it on Vista.

Oh well.  Guess I'll just have to make do with UT2004,
Nexuiz, Doom III, Quake 4, Quake III, many many Flash
8 games, and Adventure.  (The last one of course is a
classic, but it's not very graphical.)

> It must be some kind of a social experiment to see how foolishly people
> spend their money.

Yes, we all are such fools spending money on Linux, aren't we?

Oh, wait, Linux is free.

> I'll bet there is a hidden camera filming peoples reactions when they try
> and play this thing.

There's a thought.

[*] maybe it should be called "Mindsweeper".  Gotta keep those brains
    clean so that they can accept all of Vista's inherent goodness. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #8830129:
std::set<...> v; for(..:iterator i = v.begin(); i != v.end(); i++)
    if(*i == thing) {...}