Re: "Microzealots" at Digg.com

"High Plains Thumper" <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:enguik$ffj$1@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Larry Qualig wrote:
>

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Dawn of the Microzealots
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.phueque.com/wordpress/2007/01/02/dawn-of-the-microzealots/
>>>
>>> naio21. Have a look at the profile.
>>>
>>> For months the guy has been systematically modding hundreds of my
>>> comments because I occasionally criticise Microsoft. Then, all my
>>> comments were modded down by this user, regardless of the nature of the
>>> comments. He also personally attacked me, using vile language... many
>>> times in fact.
>>>
>>> All in all, Digg is getting screwed up because there is astroturfing
>>> going on. This isn't unprecedented.
>>
>> The key phrase being - "I may not be able to find a smoking gun, or
>> paper trail, but I know..." Blah, blah, blah. And there's black
>> helicopters from Redmond circling your dorm room at night.
>>
>> Perhaps you should let the strap on your tin-foil helmet out a notch or
>> two. It seems to be on too tight and it's restricting the blood flow to
>> your brain.
>
> Really?  You got that impression?  Historically, Microsoft does have a
> reputation problem:
>
>>> http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
>
> | As for the Munchkins, let's let John Dvork tell the story:
> | Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks using online
> | mavens to go into forums and create Web sites extolling the virtues of
> | Windows over OS/2. They were dubbed the Microsoft Munchkins, and it was
> | obvious who they were and what they were up to. But their numbers and
> | energy (and they way they joined forces with nonaligned dummies who
> liked
> | to pile on) proved too much for IBM marketers, and Windows won the
> | operating-system war through fifth-column tactics.
>
> Nothing surprises me.

What would surprise me the most would be that something as trivial as
posting good or bad words about a product in a forum such as this, populated
by a handful of relatively close-minded individuals could even begin to
overwhelm IBM's marketing efforts.  I think that the tin foil theory has
much more validity.  It is more comforting to assign the failure of one's
hopes to some evil outsider than to acknowledge one's own inadequacy.