Re: [News] GPL-Licensed Wireless Tracking System Debuts

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 03 January 2007 16:02 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Open-source tracking system launched
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| An open-source wireless tracking system for following people around
>>| buildings got its first public use last week at the Chaos
>>| Communication Congress in Berlin.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| The firmware, drivers and hardware design for the tracking devicesa
>>| re released under GNU/GPL open-source licences. The base station
>>| designs are not currently available as open source because they were
>>| designed closely with a vendor.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsid=7969
>

> Why on earth should "designing closely with a vendor" stop something
> being open source?

Some contract handed in by the vendor maybe? Exclu$ionary deal$.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes for the new year!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
Tasks: 128 total,   1 running, 125 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie