Re: [News] BBC on the 55 Quid Linux Laptop, Supported by More Countries

begin  risky.vbs
	<12571123.16cNEqWepZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> $100 laptop project eyes launch
>
> ,----[  ]
>| Ultimately the project's backers hope the machines could sell for
>| as little as $100 (£55).
>|
>| The first countries to sign up to buying the machine include
>| Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya,
>| Pakistan and Thailand.
> `----

    "I have to laugh when people refer to XO as a weak or crippled
    machine and how kids should get a "real' one"," Mr Negroponte told
    AP.

    "Trust me, I will give up my real one very soon and use only
    XO. It will be far better, in many new and important ways."

    The computer runs on a cut-down version of the open source Linux
    operating system and has been designed to work differently to a
    Microsoft Windows or Apple machine from a usability perspective.

    "In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in
    elementary school computer labs (when they exist in the developing
    world), is the children are being trained to use Word, Excel and
    PowerPoint," Mr Negroponte said.

    "I consider that criminal, because children should be making
    things, communicating, exploring, sharing, not running office
    automation tools."

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and