Re: MS: perpetrators responsibility for security breaches ..

  • Subject: Re: MS: perpetrators responsibility for security breaches ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 00:45:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 19 January 2007 20:59 \__

> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>> "Jerry Fishenden .. said the responsibility for security breaches
>> should rest firmly with those perpetrating the breaches"
>>
>> "We're making software as secure as we possibly can."
>
> He is lying.

Microsoft : Arrogance leads to Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]

`----                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=514

>> "People don't look
>> at window-lock makers for the responsibility for burglary--the
>> responsibility tends to rest with perpetrators," Microsoft's national
>> technology officer.
>
> Ahhh, how much can you pervert the truth without actually lying?
>
> He is of course mostly right, the lock maker would not be involved.
> People would look at the company specifying the components of the
> window unit package.  Unless there was only one lock company, which
> made only one design.  Then people would look at the window-lock maker.
>
> Any factory that protects hazardous chemicals with a weak fence and
> dimestore locks would be held liable in criminal and civil courts for
> the destructive actions of vandals and thieves that break in and
> contaminate the neighborhood.  Software distributors DO have a
> responsibility to take sufficient steps to make their products secure.

They do indeed. Accidentally, Microsoft has admitted that, too.

=== Begin quote ==

    "The cost of these steps could reduce our operating margins. Despite
    these efforts, actual or perceived security vulnerabilities in our
    products could lead some customers to seek to return products, to reduce
    or delay future purchases, or to use competing products. Customers may
    also increase their expenditures on protecting their existing computer
    systems from attack, which could delay adoption of new technologies. Any
    of these actions by customers could adversely affect our revenue. In
    addition, actual or perceived vulnerabilities may lead to claims against
    us. While our license agreements typically contain provisions that
    eliminate or limit our exposure to such liability, there is no assurance
    these provisions will be held effective under applicable laws and
    judicial decisions."

Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally responsible
for selling software that is insecure.

== End quote ==

                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Tasks: 106 total,   1 running, 105 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie