Re: [SOT] Music Industry Going Mad, Punishes Everyone

__/ [ Darth Chaos ] on Friday 19 January 2007 18:39 \__

> I've already seen this shitty stuff reported on Infowars. Banning
> downloading would kill the Debian-based OSes which rely on apt-get or
> the GUI-based apt-get front-ends. I guess the criminal elite wants to
> force us to go to the computer store and spend $500 on MS Office XP
> instead of downloading OpenOffice.org for free.

I'm sure they'll have a very prominent (and _pro_) lobbyist then.

Bear in mind that, not only does it hinder exchange of information (usually
truth you don't find in government- corporation-backed media), but it will
also hinder exchange of code. The icing on the cake is that it kills
third-party software like Firefox. It's like taking the software (and music)
industry 15 years back... to the days of shrink-wrapped S/W.

Vista now fits on a DVD with a lot of prebundled stuff (it's Ultimate with
bits artificially disabled), so it packs a lot of stuff which benefits just
one company. Then again, it can also be downloaded (not the torrent way).
Could Microsoft ever use music (RIAA/MPAA) as an excuse to killing exchange
of free software?

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
Swap:  1036184k total,   403256k used,   632928k free,    63744k cached