Re: [News] 8 Out of 10 New Features in Office are 'Borrowed' from WordPerfect

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 19 January 2007 16:31 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The Redmond Copying Machine?
>
> Here's the game theory problem.   OSS is also sanctioned 'copying
> machine'.    I am licensed to 'copy' your code and modify it to my
> needs, as long as I acknowledge that I did so.
>
> However, how do you stop a 'cheater' -- how do you police someone who
> steals your code and uses it for profit and doesn't acknowledge you.
>
> Right now, there is no solution to that problem.   Redmond could be
> reading each and every line of OSS code and re-implementing those ideas
> in its products.   Who is to stop them?

Many tools exist and it's hard to keep secrets when you have more than a
single developer involved.

OpenLogic Expands Efforts to Help Enterprises Reduce Open Source Risk

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenLogic, Inc., a leading provider of software, stacks and
| support that enable enterprises to easily deploy and manage
| customized open source environments, today announced it has
| extended its long standing relationship with Black Duck
| software by joining the Black Duck Compliance Vanguard Alliance.
`----

http://www5.sys-con.com/read/300010_p.htm

OpenLogic Launches Indemnification for its Certified Library of Open
Source Products

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source software has made great headway into the
| enterprise," said Steven Grandchamp, CEO of OpenLogic.
| "But for enterprises to fully embrace a broad range of
| open source products, they need to be able to deploy,
| manage and control their open source usage and limit
| their legal risk. This is the first time that enterprises
| have been able to access indemnification coverage for
| such a broad range of open source products from a
| single vendor."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061016/sfm049.html?.v=71

Lloyd's Head of Exposure Management Calls for 'Open Source' Models

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source modeling will present a platform where user can
| more easily see the levels of uncertainty within a risk,
| which would be healthy for the industry," Nunn stated.
`----

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2006/10/19/73409.htm

Microsoft has already been 'caught' when it used BSD code. More recently it
snatched a project from SourceForge in order to implement semi-cooked
support for ODF in Office. People talk. People watch code. People recognise
familiar patterns and investigate. There are many laywers in large
companies, as well.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
roy      pts/4                         Fri Jan 19 17:28 - 17:29  (00:00)