[News] Linux Gets Support for Yet Another Architecture

Themis and Terra Soft Offer 64-bit PowerPC Linux Board Support Package

,----[ Quote ]
| Themis Computer announced its collaboration with Terra Soft
| Solutions to deliver a complete Linux distribution for the
| TPPC64, Themis' first in a new family of 6U VMEbus single
| board computers based on the IBM PowerPC 970FX superscalar
| RISC processor.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=204051

On hardware support:

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Architectures:  Linux   Windows
|   PC x86        Y       Y
|   PC AMD64      Y       Y
|   PC IA-64      Y       Y
|   Alpha         Y       N
|   PPC           Y       N
|   PPC64         Y       N
|   SPARC32       Y       N
|   SPARC64       Y       N
|   ARM           Y       N
|   HP PA-RISC    Y       N
|  Motorola 680x0 Y       N
|   MIPS          Y       N
|   MIPS (DEC)    Y       N
|   PowerPC       Y       N
|   IBM S/390     Y       N
|   others        Y       N
|   Cell          Y       N
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

HP all-in-one device works great with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the ink cartridges have been installed and aligned --
| the unit first prints an alignment page, then scans it to
| check for needed adjustment -- Windows and Mac OS users are
| told to load their respective CDs to install the drivers.
| Linux users can scoff at the intellectual property
| handcuffs imposed on their non-free brothers and sisters
| and simply configure the unit from the friendly confines of their
| distribution.

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
|
| [...]
|
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?
`----

http://www.jeeperscats.com/?p=7

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://hmtk.com/blog/index.php?/archives/82-The-Epson-Stylus-C88-Printer,-works-in-Linux-but-not-in-Windows.html