Re: [News] Microsoft Puts Its Future Eggs in Digital Restrictions Mess

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 18 January 2007 22:43 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nedd Ludd
> <NeddLudd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:36:52 -0500
> <9badnfF9QvQSdTLYnZ2dnUVZ_uWlnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>: Ballmer finally admits the obvious: Zune's DRM is Microsoft?s future
>>

>> Redhat has lost 85% of its value in the last 7 years.
>>

> Scan period: 1999-Aug-11 to today
>
> RHT high close (adjusted): 143.12 1999-Dec-09.
> Current price: 22.48 2007-Jan-17.
>
> Ratio: 15.7% (84.3% value lost)
>
> MSFT high close (adjusted): 50.92 1999-Dec-29.
> Current price: 31.10 2007-Jan-17.
>
> Ratio: 61.1% (38.9% value lost)
>
> Yep, that's it then; Microsoft is the technically better solution....
>
> :-P~

Microsoft could/should have been in the teens now.

A Dozen Stocks For '07

,----[ Quote ]
| Millen also thinks $36 billion in planned share buybacks
| will help the stock.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/05/stocks-markets-investing-pf-ii-cz_ag_1205stockpicks.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yjzfbo

Commentary: Microsoft needs more than just buybacks to lift its shares

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares, which have been dormant for the last few years,
| have been looking up over the last couple months. The Dow industrials
| component has gained about 20% since hitting a 4-year low of $21.46 o
| June 13.
|
| To help move things along, Microsoft not only launched a $40 billion
| stock repurchase program that lasts through 2011, the company also said
| its previously announced 4-year, $30 billion stock buyback program was
| completed in just 2 years.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B685EFB89%2D5791%2D4E8B%2DAD6A%2D9688F5B6012A%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

To be fair, Red Hat had some buybacks as well, but I'm not sure about the
scale.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
 12:00am  up 92 days 10:14,  6 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.50