Re: [News] OpenDocument Wins in the UK (Was: Free Open Source Software Coming to UK Schools?)

__/ [ Kier ] on Tuesday 16 January 2007 20:25 \__

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:17:09 +0000, 7 wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 16 January 2007 05:35 \__

>>> Update and good news:
>>>
>>> The BECTA site now says:
>>>
>>> "Becta is therefore calling on the ICT industry to ensure that computers
>>> for the education marketplace are delivered with a choice of Office
>>> productivity suites available, which ideally should include an
>>> open-source offering.
>>>
>>> The ability for schools to exercise choice is further restricted by
>>> interoperability difficulties and Becta is calling on Microsoft to
>>> improve its support for the ODF interoperability standard.
>>>
>>> There is also concern that the current lack of support for Microsoft?s
>>> new file formats in competitor products (particularly ?free to education?
>>> products) may exacerbate ?digital divide? issues. Becta therefore advises
>>> that schools should only deploy Office 2007 when its interoperability
>>> with alternative products is satisfactory."
>>>
>>> http://schools.becta.org.uk
>> index.php?section=re&catcode=ss_res_pro_gbv_03&rid=12924
>>

>> BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
>>
>> Game keeper turned poacher prints same old crap!!!
>>
>> You have understand the coded language that this article is
>> written in.
>>
>> For example...
>> "Becta is therefore calling..."
>>
>> BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
>> F&CK THAT!!
>>
>> They are not in a position for calling out anything.
>> They are after all in a position to dictate!!!!!!!!!
>> Those fscking cun*s.
>>
>> "Becta is calling on Microsoft to improve..."
>>
>> BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH!!!
>> F&CK THAT FOR A DOUBLE WHOPPER!!
>>
>> They are not in a position for calling out anything to micoshaft.
>> They are in a position to dictate!!!!!!!!!
>> Those fscking cun*s. They have already made up their minds.
>> They are gonna subversively procure micoshaft products.
>> Thats the end of it.
>> Then after have taken the money and screwed UK schools,
>> they are gonna lie until they drop dead.
>> Those fscking cun*s. They will sell eductation and open source
>> down the river. Its no wonder they have reported to the EU.
>> What they do is illegal and they should be disbanded.
>
> Why don't you try growing up, and writing plain understandable Englsih,
> not stupid gibberish? You do Linux advocacy a disservice with you stupid
> 'micoshaft' bollocks.

I agree about the language, but just like 7, I still doubt this. The
skepticism is just their defence. They are under serious threat, so they
suddenly post stuff which makes them seem reasonable and balanced. Just see
all the BECTA-related posts from the past couple of months. Some people must
be having lunch together. Money or favours (or freebies) could be exchanging
hand. As somebody, in the mailing list says, their recent statements make
you think you've sunk into some parallel universe. People don't flip like
this overnight.

BECTA has signed a contact with Microsoft recently. They even got a so-called
'discount'. Wow! What a bargain. Whether Linux and OSS played a role or not
doesn't matter really. BECTA then criticised lockins, formats, and so forth.
It also warned about early upgrades to Vista. Yeah right! Like anyone is mad
enough to become a tester for an O/S that's not only expensive in its own
right, but often requires new hardware too. What an heroic strike-back from
BECTA. They keep up appearances. And yet, the statements they have made
recently can sting them in the arse and force policies to be alterred
(softened). It's not just about Open Source. It's also about British SME's.
BECTA ships over bags of cash to Seattle rather than use the local pool of
talent and control its /own/ software.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
         run-level 5  Oct 18 14:45                   last=S