[News] Forum Set Up in India to Accelerate Open Source and Linux Adoption

Forum for Open Source Initiatives in India Formed

,----[ Quote ]
| Sandeep Menon, convener of FOSII and director of Linux business for
| Novell West Asia, said, "FOSII members belong to various facets
| of the Linux/OSS (Open Source Software) ecosystem, which includes
| the industry, academia, government and the community. Though the
| initial members are all from India, some foreign members too are
| expected to join this forum to share their global experience and
| aid the initiative."
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showstory.php?storyid=7997&scatid=8&contid=1

Related:

HPCs Push Novell's Linux Business In Niche Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Dismissing the allegations linking increase in Windows piracy to
| the bundling or selling of Linux with vanilla systems, as
| completely illogical, Menon said that apparently only about 60
|                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| percent of the desktops shipped in India have been shipping with
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Official MS licenses for years together now. "Piracy has nothing
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| to do with Linux. Its just that today a credible alternative to
| MS has emerged for the first time," he said.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/News/HPCs_Push_Novells_Linux_Business_In_Niche_Space/551-78316-819.html

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
| villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
| their way.
|
| Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
| installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
| servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
| government officials in Linux and Open Office too.

AP to forge ties with MIT for open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Andhra Pradesh government is forging ties with the Massachusetts
| Institute of Technology (MIT), US, for collaboration in the areas of
| e-governance, data standards and service-oriented architecture.
| "MIT will provide funding and technological assistance for
| developing and promoting different software components
| including an open source platform," said state IT secretary
|           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| K Ratnaprabha.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andhra_Pradesh

Tamil Nadu (India) Shutting the Door On Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "The managing director of the IT procurement, consulting, and training
| agency for the Tamil Nadu government describes the reasons why he has
| chosen OSS, and also how he dealt with Microsoft executives."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0226229&from=rss

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

BOSS Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS is a Linux distribution developed specifically for the Indian
| environment to enhance the use of Free/Open Source Software in the
| country. BOSS Linux consists of an easy to use desktop environment,
| English/Indian language support and other packages that are most
| relevant for the use in the government domain.
|
| Future versions of BOSS will support the educational domain as well.
| BOSS Linux is developed by C-DAC team and their ultimate goal is to
| localize it into all 22 official Indian languages so that Information
| Technology can reach even the non-English speaking masses that are
| denied its benefits today.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/cBOSS-Linux-44080.shtml

Indian Policy Makers Call For Greater Use Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A wide spectrum of policy makers called for the greater usage of open
| source to modernize India in the digital era and the re-evaluation of
| the laws pertaining to Intellectual Property. The event sought to examine
| the notion of intellectual "property," in the context of traditional
| knowledge, globalization and the growth of the open source movement
| worldwide.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/281396_p.htm

FreeDel 2006 participants learn about FOSS in India

,----[ Quote ]