Re: [News] CNet Publishes "Try Ubuntu" Video

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:12:01 +0000
<3702257.l6OPXDQvX0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 15 January 2007 19:41 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:27:07 +0000
>> <4653336.Jd6hUucR2h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> __/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Monday 15 January 2007 18:07 \__

>>> Yes, I know, but Flash 9 is available for Linux and it's stable. That what
>>> I hear anyway...
>>>

>> Not sure how stable it is; the beta's available but I've
>> had some minor problems with it.  Nothing I can easily
>> pin down except by referencing a certain game, though.
>
> Yes, you said it before. CPU utilisation jumps up to the max. Is it some
> rotten game you've become addicted to? Honestly, people in Digg repeatedly
> say that I should upgrade from 7 to 9. I prefer to wait while I can still
> watch all the videos in Google Video anmd GooTube. some other services give
> me a hard time, so it's a quick goodbye and "no thanks".

An interesting issue all around; I'll hope they open source
it at some point.  Try

http://www.armorgames.com/games/worlddomination.html

before and after the upgrade.  (It plays in flash 7 and
flash 9, though flash 9 runs slowly for some odd reason,
at least on my system.)

It's better than it was; I'm not getting any hangups now,
just an occasional slowdown such as the above.

The game is interesting, if one likes turn-based combat.
One is a world leader, trying to maneuver for position
against four other world leaders (selectable at the start
of the game -- and yes, one of them is a caricature
of Osama).  Diplomacy, weapons of war, and propaganda
are simulated.  I'll admit I like the slightly evil music,
and I've won more than once.  The Flash9 upgrade, however,
slows down the gameplay (not that it's all that fast to
begin with but the game does allow the user to watch the
missiles fly and the armies attack, in its rather silly
fashion).

There is a payware version, which adds more capabilities
such as weapons research and (presumably) religious pogroms

Without the Flash upgrade, many games won't even play:

http://www.armorgames.com/games/red.html

in particular is a rather simple defense game, which has
a rounded base shooting at a bunch of perfectly circular
rocks during a windy day -- but only if one has Flash 8
or 9.

And there appear to be many issues regarding video,
since there appear to be many implementations of video,
some of them Flash-based.

Thank you, Microsoft, for totally confusing what should be
a simple, straightforward issue.  :-P

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };