[News] Tivoization in Open Source Healthcare

Tivo Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, consider what would happen if my software and the operating
| system underneath it were Tivoized. I help write an GPL Electronic
| Health Record (EHR). Under the current version of the GPL, someone
| could make an appliance from my software and GNU/Linux and prevent
| people from modifying and controlling healthcare data stored in the
| Electronic Health Record that ran on this device. What the
| Tivoization traps is the data, which for Tivo means movies and
| television shows recorded digitally. But what happens when the
| data that is trapped is infinitely more valuable? When we discuss
| DRM, we should be thinking of an EHR that has been Tivoized,
| (perhaps a health-Tivo) rather than a television recording device.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/tivo_healthcare

Think of what Peter Gutmann described as an appalling risk in using Vista for
medical data. DRM and signal scrambling could cost lives.

Related:

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
`----