Re: [News] Ubuntu Community Forms Team to Create Linux Video Tutorials

On 2007-01-14, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Ubuntu Screencast Team
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Screencasts are videos which show users how to achieve a specific
>| task in Ubuntu. They can be seriously useful when walking users through
>| a new task and are intended to complement Ubuntu?s other support
>| resources, such as documentation, forums, mailing lists and irc.
> `----
>
> http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/713
>
> With broadband and improved Web accessibility, learning online has never been
> easier. This wasn't the case a decade ago when people preferred courses,
> live assistance, and books.
>
> There are already many video tutorials out there, e.g.:
>
> http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=linux+tutorial

I stated before that one thing that would ease the move into people's
homes* would be something along the lines of that Video Professor guy
who sells junky tapes on TV that show how to point'n'klick. This might
not be the same idea, but it's the same type of thing.

Now, if someone _really_ wants it to take off, it needs to be on
nighttime infomercials, right next to Ron Whatsisname in the chef hat
selling crappy Bassomatic products, and on Home Shopping Network.**

*  Not something I advocate doing, by any means. But one of the things
   it will take for those who wish to see it happen.

** I actually _fear_ that someone might try something like this one
   day!

--
"[Microsoft's] products just aren't engineered for security."
  -- Brian Valentine