Re: [News] How Microsoft Gets Web Developers to Maintain Their Monopoly

  • Subject: Re: [News] How Microsoft Gets Web Developers to Maintain Their Monopoly
  • From: "amicus_curious" <ACDC@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:47:20 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
news:4420344.vACOhRQLfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Carrying Water for Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Careless Web developers work tirelessly to maintain Redmond's dominance.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Fidelity's contractor didn't set out to build a website that would shut
> | out Macintosh and Linux users. But by being lax with its choice of
> | Web authoring technologies, that's exactly what it did.
> `----
>
> http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/posts.aspx?id=17504&author=garfinkel
>
> Microsoft continues to deliver tools whose design is intended to punish
> the
> competition and snub standards/recommendations.

The author seems to miss the incongruity in blaming Microsoft proprietary
methods for his problem.  He states:

"For example, last night I was investigating the electronic bill-payment
features on Fidelity.com. The site tries to work with Firefox and Safari,
but it's inconsistent. Sometimes the pages would display, and other times
one page would redirect to the second, which would redirect back to the
first, and so on, until Firefox displayed an error message. I called up
Fidelity for tech support. Its people said that they would try to help me
configure Firefox so that it could work with the site, but it would work
better with IE on Windows. Then, once I fired up IE, I discovered that I
still needed to adjust at least 10 different settings in the Internet
Options window before the Bill Pay website would work properly."

He describes a web site that will not work with Safari, Firefox, or IE and
somehow asks the reader to accept that as proof of some Microsoft
malevolence.  This is just another whining rant from an anti-Microsoft
zealot.  It must be comforting to Microsoft to know that their opponents are
so incompetent.