Re: [News] Java Could Become the Driving Force of Linux

> Can Java become an important Linux language?
> Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic
> Study: Developers Favor Linux
>
> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

This is interesting from that link:

   Linux Desktop

   The developer's survey found at least one additional unusual
   data point.

   Surprising no one, these developers with Linux chops report that
   their top two development choices are Web-based interfaces and rich
   client applications. This was expected because these types of apps
   have such wide usage.

   The No. 3 choice, however, falls under the category of 'emerging
   market': Linux desktop apps. (Perhaps oddly, desktop apps were a
         more popular development choice than database apps, a
         traditionally strong area for open source.)

   The enthusiasm for desktop apps might be seen as an anomaly: while
   Linux is strong in the server market, its penetration in the desktop
   market continues to be very modest.

   Indeed, the developers' enthusiasm for desktop apps 'is a
   slightly surprising finding,' Andrews says.

   The explanation: 'We see more of that in geographies other than
   North America,' he says. 'We see more traction, for
   instance, in Europe and in the Asia Pacific region around the [open
   source] desktop.'

   Cost, he notes, is a very big factor in some of these less affluent
   markets. Moreover, 'The lineage factor, the Microsoft and
   Windows heritage, isn't there.'

So, North-American == Wintard?

Anyway, it's looking promising for GNU/Linux and open-source.  Not a
takeover, but some actual competition for the Redmond Borg, the Vole.

Even, as one sig put it, if you are still being MICROattacked, from many
angles, in a SOFT manner.

--
   Where do you think you're going today?