Re: spyware gets teacher jail time ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Friday 12 January 2007 14:02 \__

> "A teacher whose classroom PC displayed pornographic images to school
> children faces up to 40 years imprisonment"
>
> "The pop-up images of couples fornicating will the likely result of
> spyware infestation, according to defence witnesses testifying on
> behalf of teacher"
>
> 'Defense computer expert W. Herbert Horner said that he found spyware
> on the PC, linked to a seemingly innocent hair styling website, "that
> led to this pornographic loop that was out of control"'
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/11/spyware_teacher/

Excellent example of "PC controls user" (if true). This Internet-driven and
Internet-controlled surfing experience will get even worse in the future.
Don't forget the excessive number of pop-ups, counterfeiting
notifications/nags, and ad-funded software (native, e.g. MSN Messenger).

You know, when I was about 15, I showed my father how to do some things on
the Internet. A seemingly-innocent games site brought up a pornographic
popup, which, at least at the time, led to serious embarrassment. Blake Ross
attributed the miserable state of the Web -- that where sites take the
/user/ for a ride -- to Microsoft's neglect of IE (and the customer). It was
among his reasons for starting to "Spread Firefox". It's a classic instance
where monopoly hurts the cusotmer very badly, not only in terms of price and
support, but also in terms of product quality.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Surely, Microsoft has given up on altruism in the IT industry
roy      pts/4                         Thu Jan 11 21:14 - 21:45  (00:31)